5 Ways to Make the Most of Fall with Your Family
#advertisement I received compensation from Dr. Scholl’s® to write this post. All opinions are entirely my own. #CustomFitRelief #DrScholls
Is it just me or is fall the BEST season of the year? The air is crisp, the leaves are turning gorgeous colors, and the holidays are just around the corner. Something about this time of year just makes me want to be outside enjoying the beautiful weather all the time. Maybe it’s because we’ve just come out of months of heat here in Texas, but autumn somehow makes me feel energetic and ready for anything. There are so many opportunities to get outside and enjoy the season, but most of them involve being on my feet for long periods of time. Sadly this can be a real problem for people like me who often suffer from aching feet or pain in the lower back and knees, both of which can originate in the feet.
I have a really hard time finding shoes that offer the right amount of support for my feet so I pretty much gave up on finding shoes that would work for my feet and decided to just live with the pain. But then I found Dr. Scholl’s® Custom Fit® Orthotic Inserts. Oh my goodness! Who knew a cushiony little insert could make such a difference? These things have four different layers, each serving a different purpose in supporting your feet to relieve the stress that can cause foot, knee, and lower back pain.
Dr. Scholl’s® experts in biomechanics have developed an incredible Footmapping® Technology that evaluates arch type, pressure points, and foot length using over 2,000 pressure sensors, which then recommends the inserts that are right for you. All I had to do was find the Custom Fit® Kiosk in my local Walmart and follow a few simple instructions to get my personalized recommendation.
Here’s how easy it is.
Step 1: Remove your shoes.
Step 2: Step on the mat.
Step 3: Touch the screen to begin. Follow the prompts on the screen and in under 2 minutes you’ll know exactly which Dr. Scholl’s® Custom Fit® Orthotic Inserts are right for your feet. I had no idea I had high arches, and it was great to have a custom recommendation just for my feet!
Thanks to these inserts I can truly enjoy my favorite season! If you experience pain in your feet, knees, or back from being on your feet for long periods, give Dr. Scholl’s® Custom Fit® Orthotic Inserts a try and start moving around comfortably! To find a Custom Fit® Kiosk near you click here. And right now you can even get a $10 rebate at the Custom Fit® Online Rebate Center right here!
The season has so much to offer and I don’t want to miss out on any of it. Here are some of the beautifully simple ways I like to make the most of fall with my family.
- Take a nature walk. This can be as simple as a trip to a local park or even a walk around the block. No matter where you live, a new season always brings with it changes in nature that your family can enjoy together. Slow down and really enjoy the beauty of the season. Stop and look up at the trees and the clouds. Keep your eyes open for acorns, pine cones, pretty leaves, or any other signs of Fall. Gather special finds in a basket and make simple crafts out of them, or simply display them at home for a free seasonal decoration. Need a way to get the kids interested? Make up an age-appropriate scavenger hunt using local plants and animals and see how many you can spot. You might even make a habit of taking an evening walk together because it’s such a pleasant way to end the day. Just being outside in the fresh air is a great way to slow down and reconnect with your family!
- Have a family work day outside. Outdoor chores have to be done anyway, so why not make it a fun family experience? Turn on some music and get to work raking, gardening, pulling weeds, organizing the shed…whatever needs to be done to make your outdoor space enjoyable for the season. Just remember to keep it fun! Let the kids rake up a big pile of leaves and jump in it (and then rake it up again, of course :).) See who can pull the most weeds. Make a leaf maze or obstacle course. Keep some cups and a thermos of apple cider outside for breaks. Snap some photos of everyone working hard and having fun!
- Dine al-fresco. Enjoy the results of all your hard work by eating outside. Bundle up and enjoy a steaming bowl of soup out on the patio while the sun sets, or take your morning coffee outside and listen to the birds singing. Here in Texas we can be outside most of the day in the fall, but if you live somewhere that’s much colder make the most of the sunshine in the middle of the day by enjoying a picnic lunch. Having a meal outside somehow makes it feel special and memorable, so make a habit of dining outside as a family once in awhile during the pleasant autumn months before winter sets in.
- Take advantage of local seasonal activities. Most cities have certain activities that are only open for a few weeks every fall. Pumpkin patches, apple-picking, hayrides, corn-mazes…these won’t be available for very long, but the memories can last a lifetime, so check to see what’s available near you during this season. We’ve gone to a local pumpkin patch for the last few years and my kids always look forward to spending the day running around, climbing on hay bales, and having a picnic there. And don’t forget your Dr. Scholl’s® Custom Fit® Orthotic Inserts so foot, knee, or lower back pain won’t cut your experience short. Get clinically-proven all-day relief so you can keep moving and make the most of the season!
- Hunt for treasures at flea markets and yard sales. I love finding unique things that people are getting rid of and giving them a new home. Autumn is the perfect time to spend a day at the flea market or checking out garage sales. You might even find some perfect Christmas gifts for people who are difficult to shop for. I have a friend whose family decided one year that they would only give each other gifts from flea markets or yard sales. They all had so much fun Christmas shopping, and there were some unforgettable gifts that year! My kids often want to buy gifts for people at Christmas with their own money, but they don’t usually have much money to spend. So I love helping them find just the right thing at a garage sale that hardly costs anything. This way they’re learning smart spending while we shop together!
What are some things you do with your family in the fall? Share your ideas with us for making the most of the season. Don’t let foot, knee, or lower back pain keep you from enjoying everything this beautiful time of year has to offer. Try Custom Fit® Orthotics risk-free, with the Dr. Scholl’s® Money Back Guarantee and experience all the fun of the season pain-free!