As moms you’d think that clearly we should have it all together all the time, right?! If you’re like me that statement makes you laugh! Remember, I’m a Real Mom! So in case you’re not perfect like me here’s my list of Five Things You’re Forgetting to Bring to Your Pool Playdate!
1. Ladies Scala Visor aka Big Adorable Floppy Hat — so if you’re like me you have the kiddos in SPF suits and even your little boy wears a SPF shirt–but when it comes to you the best sun protection you get is when you use the BabyGanics Sunscreen left over from putting in on your kids to dab at your face (more on that later). Ringing any bells?
I’ll be the first to admit that I’m NOT a hat person–I like them, I just can’t really wear them. When I saw this uber cute floppy business, however, I thought that just maybe it might work for me! It’s actually more of a paper braid visor–which worked perfectly for me because I could tuck my pony tail up through it! One of my favorite features is that when I’m not wearing it to the pool it rolls up so small that I can store it in my sock drawer–a huge plus when you’re constantly trying to Organize in Small Spaces like me!
2. A Sundress – Forget pricey, holey, see-through cover ups! (After you have two kids they are not a flattering or age appropriate option!) A simple cotton sundress is absolutely the best cover up you could wear to a pool play date, and I get compliments on this loose, flowing, bright red one each time I wear it. I picked it up a few years ago and it’s still my go to piece for any sweltering hot pool play-dates, but it is also pretty enough to wear to church!
3. All Natural BabyGanics Sunscreen – My sister-in-law was fussing once that she didn’t know what was worse–getting cancer from the sun or from the carcinogens in the sunscreen–blunt, perhaps, but she had a point! That’s why I was thrilled to try out Cover Up Baby Pure Mineral Moisturizing Sunscreen Lotion 30+SPF (you can find it for $10.99 at Babies R Us, Buy Buy Baby, Babiesrus.com and Diapers.com). It did an amazing job of keeping the kids burn free! I’m including it on my “don’t forget” list because all though it might seem obvious I had one of my friends ask, “Do you really need to put sunscreen on even when it’s cloudy?” The answer is yes! You can still get burned and the rays that give you cancer penetrate the clouds–so this is a big don’t forget item! Another friend just mentioned to me on Facebook that they have this in a Spray version as well so I will definitely be checking that out next!
4. Rubber Shoes (Think Crocs but you can buy rip offs at the Dollar Store or Walmart for a fraction of the price)- You might think these are my go to item for everything since they also made my Ten Tips For Flying With Toddlers post but really–they’re amazing! Easy to slip on and perfect for splashing around in or sliding off right before you get in the pool, they’re also a lot cheaper than water shoes and work just as well!
5. Hooded Towels – Big Hooded Toddler Towels double perfectly as beach towels! Avon has some super cute Hooded Towels (which is where my Grandma found this one) but you can find them pretty much at any major retailer!
Do you forget these things or did I forget anything? Let me know by leaving a comment!