At the beginning of this year I decided that every Friday night that Bob was home was going to be Date Night for us. Seven years into our marriage I feel that keeping the flirt and the spark in our marriage is super important! Since he’s in the military we’re thousands of miles away from both our families and move so often getting a babysitter for a “real” date only happens once in a blue moon.
So we just do the next best thing–an at home date night once the kiddos are in bed! I always make sure that on Friday’s I “get pretty” you know–actually doing my hair, my makeup, and putting on some cute clothes and my best perfume. Although sometimes we play Phase 10 or sit around chatting, our favorite at home dates are watching movies together snuggled on our amazing comfy couches.
Yesterday I decided to go on a trek to rent This Means War from Blockbuster Express
and pick up some snacks for our weekly date night.
Mmmm…..yeah. I *thought* that I could beat rush hour traffic by leaving at 2 p.m. There I go thinking again! If I ever have a *brilliant* idea like that again will someone please slap me? Repeat after me “Don’t go *anywhere* if it involves driving on the interstate on holiday weekends in Boston.
Here is me after 2 hours of stop and go traffic. I also spent the time bouncing up and down and dancing to some random British folk pop group (I took Bob’s vehicle and forgot to grab any cds) and listening to Piano Concerto #5,895 play in the minor chord of e. Amber decided to catch up on her beauty rest–can’t say as I blame her!
But at long last we completed our trek to the BlockBuster Express and got our movie with great success!
Then it was time to make some goodies–because what’s a date without a few treats right? I opted to go for my ultimate secret weapon….my world famous chocolate chip cookies! I’m *pretty* sure they’re why Bob married me in the first place! 😉
Can’t you just taste the melty chocolatey goodness??!!
Then finally it was date time!
Of course the most fun part of watching any movie is getting to be a couch critic–so here is my take on This Means War (rated PG-13)
- I actually love action movies even more than “chick flick” kinds–so the fact that the movie combined the two was a lot of fun for me!
- The main characters were awesome! I’ve been a huge fan of Chris Pine since the new Star Trek (oh yeah did I mention I’m a closet geek?) and you can’t help but adore Reese Witherspoon–she’s just so stinking adorable. And Tom Hardy…well….let’s just say that I have a thing for British accents 😉
- The flow of the movie was great and had a nice mix of funny, serious, and action packed scenes.
- Funny!!! I was giggling and giggling through the entire movie–and hubby laughed out loud several times too (despite turning up his nose at any “chick flicks”)
- Chelsea Handler plays Trish–the obnoxious older friend. She was supposed to bring an extra dose of funny to the movie but all I found her to be was annoying. Maybe it’s because I’m a little “uptight” but her crude remarks and jokes about sex and drinking constantly were just dumb and really didn’t add any value to the movie.
- Umm…since when is cheating no big deal? Last time I checked if a girl was seriously dating two guys at once it was more skanky than cute
- No realism–yes, I get that it’s a comedy so that is part of it–but as hubby said–shooting a predator out of the sky just because you don’t want it spying on you??? You realize that’s 4 million dollars right??!!!!!!!!
- The ending ~ though they did manage to pull it off the practical side of me shakes it head. I know (ahem…maybe from personal experience…..maybe more than once….anyways moving on) that anytime there is any kind of “love triangle” where two guys are interested in the same girl the result is a big blow to their friendship long term–and that’s when the girl doesn’t even choose or date either one of them in the end (again…possibly speaking from personal experience here, pleading the fifth though 😉 )
Overall I would give this movie 3.5 out of 5 Couches
Oh–and the best part of at home date nights? Getting to watch a movie in my holey favorite sweat pants and barefoot!!!
This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias. #CBias All dancing, traffic jams, and references to former love triangles are my own.